Look at me and tell me what you see
Hips that are too wide and a waistline that’s too big
Arms that move too much when I hold them in the air
Fingers I can’t run through the curls in my hair
My nose is too thick, there’s a space between my teeth
There’s no space at the place where my two thighs meet
My skin is too dark, too light, too brown, too white…


I am a subject of you imagination
a product of your perception
A am what you mold me to be
Whatever you want to be I will be
Like that hoe that that girl thinks that I've been
Even though she’s been with all of my men -- after me
Or maybe I'm that ghetto spic on the street
Or maybe on another note I'm that white girl from upstate
Like "Wait...
...Super-man that what?"
Maybe I'm that bible totin, verse quotin
Self proclaimed prophet that you can't stand...
Then sit your ass down.
To you I might be fat, large, "pleasantly plump" even.
News Flash: Maybe it's just... Thick.


You might take delight in my chocolate flavored hair
Sigh at the sight of my coffee colored eyes
Maybe you want to grab hold of these hips and these thighs
or these Dreaded Curses that my mother Blessed me with
... Or maybe they're just implants.
But no, I was endowed, au natural.
But how can that be? A white girl with a body?
I'm just that girl in the corner, remember?
Then tell me, how is it
That I dance with a fire in my step like I just walked off the island
And my tongue is split in two directions:
The language that was given to me, and
The language that was taken from me, given by my Grandmother
Whose hands and tongue have stood the test of time.
So before you judge me,
know you can't budge me
Because I am a figure of God's imagination,
I am the subject of his illustration.
Ain't nothing making me
Into something
I'm not meant to be
So don't try to make me fit a mold
Cause I am here, breaking your hold
To belong to you, no more.
Now look at me and tell me what you see
A smile worthwhile, a beautiful queen.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 Posted in | | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "Mirror Mirror"

Write a comment